Sunday 6 November 2011

Something for the Weekend

Yes I know that it's been a couple of days since I last blogged but I do have excuses. Firstly H was away for the weekend, she had gone to Oxford to meet the rest of her coven. With Housemate being busy looking after the horses I had free access to the telly so was able to watch lots of footy and racing. More importantly I have not been well, no, proper man unwell. It was my back since you asked, housemate did show a little sympathy and chucked some painkillers at me telling me to "Shut the luck up" not sure what she meant by that, anyway she was pleased to see H coming home tonight, running weeping to her saying "How do you put up with it ?" Yup it must be wonderful being married to someone who bears pain with such fortitude as me.

Anyway Friday was haircut day for H and I decided to have mine seen to as well The barbers shop in Ludlow is run by two or three ladies who are very pleasant but tonsorial attention is not like it used to be. When I was growing up in Chester the only place to go and have your hair cut was Trevors. The "salon" was a back street shop inhabited by two old rockers with incredible DAs.

 At the age of 13 I was allowed to go there alone and ask for the style I wanted, the trouble was that I attended  an old fashioned single sex school who were very fixed on what a hairstyle should be.It was the sort of school that really wanted to be a public school where" head boy" was an order not the role taken by the most popular  senior pupil, however it was blighted by oiks like me passing their 11 plus and spoiling it for the nice middle class boys.

 I would ask for it to be left long especially down the back, with the curly bits bouffanted (it was the 1970s).Trev knew that I went to the "Grammar" so I got a short back and sides, every time. Worse still Trev always had a ciggie on the go while he was hacking away (whilst glancing through the Daily Mirror and attempting to sell contraceptives to other punters at the same time) and for years I thought I had galloping dandruff, it turned out to be fag ash. He also did a thing with a lighted taper that he would wave in a frightening way around your head. And No I have no idea why.

Tonight is the last episode in the current season of Downton, can't wait. Hopefully I will bravely be able to go and visit the animals tomorrow, I'm sure that they've all got Get well Soon cards for me