Monday 10 October 2011

I was in the desert you know..Oh yes

I used to think think that the TV programme Grumpy Old Men was just a harmless comedy half hour, until I turned into one. Let me tell you about it. me n' the meesees went into town today to get a few things from the shops. In the bakers there was a kid with ridiculously long hair for a 5 year old " yes that's the sausage roll...I want it cold not hot...and I want a cake" I quietly seethed while it's mother eyed up the pies. Clearly the word "please" was not in the brat's vocabulary.

Next was the supermarket; it must have nearly been closing time, surely that is the only reason for playing Phil Collins over the pa. The mem picked up and put down many chocolate cakes before deciding against one as it "might be disappointing". Off to pay where the teenage checkout girl carried on chatting to her mate at the next till while ignoring us. She looked genuinely surprised to see us waiting to pay. "Jew wancashbkk" No I didn't get that either the first time.

After that I needed a drink so we went to a pub in the centre of town which I had better not name for ecclesiastical reasons. I stood at the bar and was ignored for 5 minutes while the barmaid finished the important phone call to her mate before serving me with a big sigh (a big sigh is not a drink, I had a pint) When the mem joined me she asked our enthused server for a cup of coffee, the money was taken and the cup put under the coffee maker before the barmaid wandered off to start a conversation with another member of staff. She needed reminding that as we had completed our half of the deal surely the coffee was the least we could have been offered in return.

 What is the matter with these people ??!! Pahh

The arrival of the point to pointers has perked Kavi up considerably," at last" he must think "some proper horses to talk to". The nice chestnut mare was put out in the top paddock and he sidled over to make himself known, this is Kavi doing this, the Danny Doleful of the yard for whom happiness appears an alien concept.

"Oh yes I used to be a racer, did I tell you about the time I won the 3 mile chase at Worcester? Well we came to the last and I was 3 lengths down so I said to Gerry Tumelty the jockey...."etc etc

The sight of horses enjoying themselves was too much for Rooster who bustled over shooing him off before rounding the rest of the horses up for a fire drill or something.