Monday 16 April 2012

Insomnia

They say that one swallow does not make a Summer, I saw two flying over the yard this morning so.Happy Summer everyone.

Housemate was away this weekend competing in Nottinghamshire, by the way, well done Sidders

                                            Grade 1 Horse

Anyway as Darcy was not allowed to travel this meant that I was dog sitting over the weekend. This is not a problem, apart from his penchant for exploration if you turn your back on him in the yard and he trots off into the distance. The real fun starts at bedtime. he cannot be left to sleep on his own, oh no, not Darcy, so he shares my dormitory.

We settle down, him on the floor, I should add, and I put the light out and attempt some zzzs. Shortly after there is the sound of crunching as he finishes off his late night Bonio,followed by snuffling as he vacuums the floor for crumbs and an extended period of lip-smacking. A short period of quiet is then followed by scratching and shuffling as he arranges Blankie into a comfortable position. It's then time for a vigorous scratch and shake of the head (his ears vibrate noisily).

 It's about now that Ari, in his lair, hears something moving in Hopton Cangeford and unleashes a volley of woofing. Hollow eyed I turn over, Darcy then starts to emit a horrid squelching, sucking noise as he gives his paws a late night clean. Finally silence descends. Then, about an hour before I want to wake up, when I am in a half awake half asleep mode I become aware of an awful silence, followed by a sigh and the feeling that you are being stared at. Yup he is right next to the bed sat bolt upright with his eyes boring into you, the intimation being "it's ten to six time everyone was up". Hopefully Housemate will not be taking any holidays soon, at least until I have caught up on my sleep.


                                                   "Is it time to get up yet ?"