Tuesday 8 May 2012

It's a Jolly Holiday with Rooster

It is the time of year when we all look forward to our holidays. relaxing with friends and family, nothing to care about except where to have lunch and what to do in the afternoon. H and I have booked a cottage in the lovely Exmoor countryside for next week. Not far from a great pub, The Royal Oak, and with wonderful views over the Moor
http://www.theroyaloakinnluxborough.co.uk/

Why is it then that things are never as straightforward as you hope ? I was idly strolling through the yard yesterday when I happened to look over Rooster's stable door. He seemed to be consulting a list. he was saying "Mmm Spare rugs...check, Suntan cream....check, sunglasses...check"

                                         "I think I'm going to need a larger suitcase"

"Off on your hols my chestnut chum ?" I asked. "Yes " he replied "A lovely week in Exmoor from Saturday". Now this is either a major coincidence or I have been out of the holiday loop somehow.

"Light of my life" I called to the small blond planner "Rooster is going to Exmoor too next week, that's a surprise, seeing as how we are going too ." "Of course he's coming idiot boy, he's doing the Golden Horseshoe 50 mile challenge" Don't break the news to him yet.

On hearing this Carly gave his door a brisk kicking and demanded to come too. "Precious little Arab, you cannot come with us" I told him

 "Why not! I could watch him do the ride and keep him company in the field before and after the event" Not thinking about nice fresh Somerset hay, cider and sunshine then.

 "We can't afford to take everyone with us my fragile legged pigeon" I pleaded with him.

"Rubbish, there is plenty of room in the trailer and I won't be expensive"

 "Even so Light Of My Beloved's eyes, the bankers took all of our money and we have to survive on scraps" I wheedled

 "Don't talk tosh there is plenty of money about, look at all those bankers with their bonuses, the rich growing fat on the blood, sweat and toil of the workers.." a new voice piped up from the other side of the yard. "If we're all in this together the how come the government can afford to cut taxes for the top wage earners whilst closing old horses' homes, libraries and bonio dispensaries" As you may have guessed our resident Trot Ari had come over to put in his chewstick's worth.

                                           "Come the glorious day...."etc etc
I left him boring the fetlocks off Carly who couldn't care less either way as long as he is given top priority.

So there will not be a chat next week as we will be away, I will closely check the trailer to ensure that no other stowaways join us, and the car doesn't break downl and there is no fuel strike and Rooster stays sound and....I think it will be easier to stay at home.