Monday 5 March 2012

Lengthy musings in an almost Victorian manner

I spend quite a lot of time looking at horse pooh. Not as a hobby, or indeed for any sort of pleasure but there is a lot of it where there are horses. Often, if not nearly always, it is in the wrong place. Usually in their stables from whence it has to be moved to the muck heap ready for collection by Dave the Hay. Recently it has looked a bit different;the pooh that is, slightly loose with a greenish hue, "Aaah" say the Barefoot Sorority "this means that the spring grass is starting to come through". This is a good thing and a bad thing, a bad thing because, as they opine, it is bad for their hooves. There is an explanation for this but I have no intention to go into it here, too technical (if not dull). However this means that horses should only have small amounts of the new grass. Therefore they have to be kept in their stables for a certain amount of time during the day.

This shows Ramah and Carly in their stables (Rooster was out on a mission), both of whom are keen to get out. They have haynets to keep them occupied but boredom has set in. If you look very hard at the stable on the far left you ...still won't be able to see Kavi, who has his head stuck into his net and will not move until it is empty.

This brings me on to my point for the day. My Room 101 article would be "Things that people blame for problems that are, in fact, peoples' own problems" Let me explain; Spring grass for horses is like Pie or cake for us, it tastes great, but if not taken in moderation can do you harm. Alcohol is another thing, it makes my blood get a bit warm when it is blamed for people getting drunk and doing bad things. It is not the fault of the drink it is the fault of the use to which we put it. ( I bet you thought that I was going to end that sentance with a preposition ) Carly, for example can be put with a large amount of food but will only eat until he has had enough and then stop. Kavi will not. H and Housemate will have one biscuit each and then stop, I , if not restrained, would eat the packet. (Don't you hate people with that amount of self control ?)

However as far as beer and my other "one small weakness", betting are concerned I can keep to the limits that I set myself. This is just as well as the gambling has not been going well. You would think that armed with this formidable arsenal of knowledge I would be quids in


But No. All the things that turned me a nice profit before Christmas have not worked in January and February. Strange that. Still it is the Cheltenham Festival next week and I shall launch a tipping competition with wonderful prizes. I will probably be the only entrant so hope to come in the first three.