Friday 16 August 2013

Bandits at two o clock

If you are a bird lover it is probably best to skip the first paragraph of this blog. Sharkey the yard terminator whilst being a very efficient mouser and ratter also likes to keep her claws in good fettle by catching birds to share with her disabled brother Furrgall.


"Look, it's what I do, OK?"
 
 
It is most regrettable I know but it is impossible to stop (No point in her wearing a bell as the furry ones will escape). However what she didn't realise was how Shropshire birds, the House Martins in particular don't take this sort of activity without retaliation  and when she walks across the yard she is regularly dive bombed by the, rightly, furious birds twittering in a most aggressive manner.
 

                                              "There she is ! Dive Dive Dive"

This was fine by me until the angry avians put together a link between me and their feline nemesis,. perhaps they have seen me feeding her, or stroking her. Anyway they have taking to buzzing me when I cross the yard, making me do a very undignified half crouching scuttle back to the house. It has to be said that my sympathy for them is running short now.

Onto a happier note and I would like to introduce a new character whom I was hoping would play a big part in my get rich quick scheme. Meet the racehorse in whom I have a minute share... The 3 Ps

                                                     Perpetually Poorly Poppy

She's lovely isn't she? Me and a couple of like minded barefoot horse lovers got together and purchased her about eighteen months ago unraced and a glowing future was gleefully planned out culminating in winning the mares hurdle at the Cheltenham festival

 She had a couple of outings on the flat back at the tail end of last year. Although she did not win (or even come close if truth be told) our Enthusiastic Trainer  ensured us that she would jump a house and was coming along really well.

 Then she slightly hurt her leg, then her tummy, one of her other legs and then her pelvis. ET broke the news to us last week that she will not be able to race until next Summer. Oh well.