Sunday 30 September 2012

A dichotomy

Furrgall and Sharkey are employed for one job and that is to keep the yard, barn and feed room clear of mice and other assorted vermin. Very good they are at it too, especially Sharkey.

                                           Meaning business

Just last week Iwas walking up the field having given Kavi his late afternoon polo mint when I spied the dark destroyer staring intently into the hedge. A second later she pounced and came out with a mouse gripped in her jaws, the mouse was still alive and struggling and squeaking. Without thinking I picked Sharkey up and wrestled with her to free the hapless rodent, this I eventually did and it ran off back into the bushes.

Sharkey looked at me "Why do you have a cat ? " she said "To keep down vermin" I replied, having a bad feeling about how this conversation was going. "And what do you think I was doing ?"

It is the age old argument about closing your mind to realities, would I enjoy bacon butties half so much if I had had to kill the pig? When we put elderly relatives in care homes are we happy to close our mind to any unpleasant possibilities ?

Almost existential angst on a sunny afternoon in a field in the beautiful countryside of rural Shropshire.

Anyway enough of that ,back to Downton Abbey . Well, what an exciting episode this week. The abbey is saved when Lord Grantham out pompouses Matthew about his payout from mis sold PPI, at least I think that was how he got the money

. Plain Edith suffered the fate of all plain people in period dramas when she was left at the alter by the old cripple (who only looked about 5 years older than her). But most worrying is that Mrs Hughes has been given the all clear by Dr Clarkson, a man who has yet to get a diagnosis right. If I were her I wouldn't be starting any long books.

Darcy likes long books and is already onto the second book in the Game of Thrones series. Here he is explaining part of the plot to me.

                                          "No, Joffrey is Cersi and Jamie's son, stupid"